Friday, July 01, 2005

Welcome!

Yes, this is the first post on my new blog about guiding others about blogging. Say that fast five times.

So, what can you expect? An inside look to my trials and tribulations regarding blogging, the blogosphere--what works and what doesn't.

If you must know. This is not my first blog. I've been blogging for a bit over a year now. Problem was, I don't think I had a true handle on what the meat of a blog should be. I treated it more like a newspaper. Lot's of stories, but not lot's of personality. Not surprisingly, I did not get a lot of feedback. Ok, none. The software had something to do with it. I didn't use true blogging software so it effectively hid my posts from the world. Lesson learned!

In just a few short weeks I'll be giving a talk about Blogs. What they are. How to get started. What makes one successful, and a host of other topics. It is that speech that prompted my to discard my other blogs and focus on this one. You see I realized that I was trying way too hard to use the blog as a sales tool rather than letting my natural instincts take over to just write about what makes what I do unique and exciting.

I'm turning over a new leaf. That's why this blog will focus on the beginner blogger. The trials, the tribulations. I'll even highlight a few of our clients once in awhile to provide some interesting case studies.

So, stick around. Or, at least check back in a few months to see how my little experiment is working out.

Do you already have a blog? Why not share it with me and tell me why you started one.

3 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, August 03, 2005, Blogger steven edward streight said...

Keep up the good work.

It sounds funny that you recently reformed from the web forum pseudo blogging to true authentic blogging, and are already giving a lecture on blogs.

But you have a unique point of view. I never heard of anyone trying to "force" another software to be a blog platform, and all the drawbacks to doing so.

I started my blogs because I wanted a web site to display my web usability insights to potential and current clients, to reinforce their perception of my expertise, and to just provide anyone with valuable tips and advice on web usability...

...then it turned more focused onto blogology...

and I also split off some peripheral interests into separate blogs:

Like a gardening blog (Contemplative Garden Hoe), goofy sci fi micro stories for fun (Cosmos Blogmos), digital art (Art Test Explosion), web evolution links (Webs for World Progress), total blog deconstruction experiment display (Jejune Jumpers unblog), etc.

 
At 3:32 PM, August 03, 2005, Blogger steven edward streight said...

Forgot to complete the thought:

originally blog was an attempt to have a web site I could control without a conventional, complicated CMS (content management system).

Blog was immediately seen to be better than conventional static web sites, I liked the comments function, and how I was devoted to posting daily, it started as twice a week on average, thus frequent posting made me do frequent research, frequent pondering, frequent writing.

Blogs rapidly improve our writing and thinking and networking skills.

this is what makes blogs subversive, radical, and revolutionary.

See my posts on these topics at Vaspers the Grate and Blog Core Values blogs.

 
At 6:07 PM, August 03, 2005, Blogger Rufo's World said...

Ahhh, you brought some great points.

That's what makes what I did a bit unusual. As you know, most people start blogging for the ease of use or the marketing potential.

Not me. I just really like to write and play with new software. In my current and former capacities, I always have access to the latest and greatest new technology on the market. That also means I'm usually trying to come up with better ways to make the technology more user friendly and more effective. (Not things most people tend to lump together).

So, long and short, I started the other way. I had lot's of options to choose from to get the same desired result. Only problem is that they are usually in some form of beta stage. That meant my marketing tendencies(really my first love) and unusually engaging personality would have to take a back-seat to the technology on the table.

Over the past few months, I've realized there can be a balance. So, I've simplified what I do, to get the job done and do what I do best.

The other blog's I mentioned? Oh, they were and still are running on the most state of the art software and servers. They blow away the functionality that I have within these confines. But they weren't letting me get the job done that I needed to at the time.

So, to sum up. While I realize for most people they blog because they can't find the same functionality on their website.

I blog to talk about the frustrations of having every bit of the functionality but not the same level of fun as every body else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home