Thursday, July 28, 2005

The New Digital Divide

Most people look at the web and geeks like me as something different or strange. There are of course a lot of jokes and most people like to say they really do not know much about new technology and like to keep it that way.

Up until I read the "New Digital Divide" post by Seth Godin (my marketing guru of choice), I didn't really consider some of the current and long term implications. Although people may joke about the "geeks inheriting the world", it's really not a joke.

People that use and understand new technology have a huge jump on those that don't. I fully agree with Godin on that point. I realize that some people are more "programmed" (pardon the pun) for technology than others but turning your back on it like self proclaimed technophobes is just ignoring the obvious.

I've always been someone who loves change. I like change so much that I'm famous (in a very small/tight circle) for the fact that I will not go and come back the same way. If I go for a nightly exercise walk it's down one side of the street and up another. When I drive to the store, I go one way there and another way back.

Why you ask? Besides being a bit nuts (it was running through your head, admit it). Because I'm always looking for something new. Something that will generate new ideas, new interests.

Ok, I digressed a bit there. But, in any case. Take a look at Godin's post. Then, take a look at which side of the divide you sit on. Maybe, just maybe, I won't look so nuts anymore!
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2005/05/the_new_digital.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home