Friday, July 29, 2005

What's in a Name?

Coming up with a new and exciting name that involves "blog" is not as easy as you might think. It took me a little while to finally come up with "My Blog Guide". Why? Because so many people have already taken all the obvious names. And, of course in marketing, it's all about branding and naming.

I'm not alone in this challenge. On the "Mouth Trap" blog you'll find a post called, "De Blogiones: What's in a Name?" According to Orwell & Co, "In the great search for the perfect name of a nascent blog, it became readily apparent that the "name game" was more complicated than previously thought...It is striking how wonderfully malleable language becomes on the blog medium...Mouth Trap" was used to describe bloggers' blogorrhea (including my own) and the confused babble of the blogosphere."

Click on over to find some interesting and well spoken (pardon the pun) comments about naming your own blog.

3 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, August 03, 2005, Blogger steven edward streight said...

I've only gotten this far down in your main page posts, but I have to tell you:

I love My Blog Guide.

Brilliant name for it, really neat and entirely appropriate.

Good, information-rich, relevant, concise posts. Much better than your run of the mill business/marketing blog, most of which are crap.

Suggest: when you accumulate nice praise, like I'm freely giving, post them as testimonials in your side bar, linking to the original writing, post or comment.

This will boost curiosity, comfort, credibility.

Powerful quotes from well known bloggers or business leaders is a grate [sic] way to grab attention of the casual reader and make them consider your blog a little more seriously.

Thanks for your kind references to me.

 
At 5:21 PM, August 03, 2005, Blogger Rufo's World said...

Blog name, well it kind of matched our theme...
our new website name is myMarketingGuide.com

Why? Who the heck is going to search on the web for "nxtConcepts"? Even my regular clients have a hard time remembering how to spell it correctly.

Will do on the testimonial side link. Good idea. I'll get it on my To-Do list.

 
At 3:47 PM, August 04, 2005, Blogger steven edward streight said...

I just added your blog to my Vaspers the Grate blogroll.

Not to inflate myself narcissistically, but if you take some time to read my archives, you'll end up way far ahead of the blogging pack.

I patiently and fully explain blogrolls, comment spam, clinking, pseudo blogs, blogocombat, blog reform, graphic enhancements, sidebar formats, etc.

I'd like you to email me, with explanation of how you used forum software as blog, but it didn't work out.

I'd like to do a post at VTG on this, with link to your blog.

:^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home