Monday, August 08, 2005

The Blog Presentation

This morning I gave the blog presentation I called, "Blogology 101". As with any public speaking that involves technology, there was a problem.

Even though I arrived at the room in plenty of time to get set up and ready, it still took twenty minutes of speaking time, two computers, and two projectors to finally get the presentation rolling. Luckily, I had two good articles and a page of blog definitions to keep people busy.

Overall it went well. I rushed through it a bit, probably more than I should have with the type and amount of material. Interestingly enough, I would have graded myself a "6" on a scale from one to ten (ten being best). Others in the room said "8".

Before I started, I wanted to get a gauge of blog knowledge in the room of about fifty people. The first question I asked was, "Who has their own blog?" No one raised their hand. Except me of course. The second question I asked was, "Who has posted to a blog?" Two people raised their hands. I figured it was pretty typical of the general population and the baby-boomer crowd that I was in front of.

Overall, people were interested but still concerned about the risks of giving their customers a pen and a voice. I hope was able to convey at least one major point...That customers are already doing it, so they (the audience) can either join in or bury their head in the sand and hope the whole "blog" thing just goes away. Which I also said in my opening, might happen when people start ice skating in hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home